Client: Sony UK Tech
Date: October 2015
The existing network core had been in place since the building was completed in 1994, with adhoc additions ever since. With most of the fibre optic links based on OM1 standards,which have been around since the late 1980’s. In need of a full update we installed 22 Armoured OM4 fibre optics links to 20 data cabinet locations. Creating a fault tolerance flexible network.
The Challenge and Solution
The 30,000 m2 facility houses manufacturing operations for Sony’s high end and professional cameras along with the now famous Raspberry Pi cut price computer. We were selected from 3 independent proposals with the full network including:
- 22 Discreet OM4 multi mode fibre optic runs
- Over 3Km of fibre installed
- 19 New fibre optic patch panels
- 10 New data cabinets at the edge of the network
- 17Km of Cat5e cable 400+ Cat5e Data points and counting to gradually link up the new core infrastructure.
- 2 New core cabinets featuring full air cooling to eliminate the need for air conditioning
- Core network completed ahead of schedule by 2 weeks
- 3Km of OM4 CST Armoured Fibre installed
- 17Km of Cat5e Copper data cable installed
- 25 Year Warranty on both copper and fibre networks
- Full testing with Fluke DSX5000 & AFL M210 OTDR test equipment
What they said...
“We were in need of some substantial re-cabling as some of our infrastructure was twenty five years old. We were also operating at full capacity, which meant we were restricted in terms of future growth. “Twisted Pair were excellent. Their engineers were technically competent and worked to exacting standards and produced high quality workmanship. They clearly labelled and tested each and every item, which in a huge building such as this is no mean feat. The twisted pair contractors even brought their own hoover and cleaned up after themselves.”David Morgan, IT manager at Sony UK Technology Centre